Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Combo cdti van 1.3 2008 and I am having

Customer Question

I have a Vauxhall Combo cdti van 1.3 2008 and I am having problems starting it and when started no power when accelerator is depressed. This has been happening now for several months and is getting worse. I have had it in two different garages 4 times and they still don't know what is wrong. Everything they know of has been checked and the last time the garage thinks it may be a problem with the ECU. Can you please help me as I am slowly going off my head? Also, I am female and know nothing at all about vehicles but even my husband is stumped.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

How often does this occur?

Customer:

This is happening almost every day now. The odd day it may start first time no problem. Also, when it is going from 40 to 50mph it stutters and the light comes on with car and spanner.

Mark :

Was there any fault codes stored when your garage tested it?

Customer:

The second garage we put it into said there were all sorts of weird codes coming up on the sensors but they didn't give us what they were. The first garage didn't even mention any codes the twice we had it in with them they just said it started first time and they couldn't find anything wrong.

Customer:

Yesterday, it took about 15 minutes to get it to stay on but when I pressed down on the accelerator there was no power at all no revs. I went shopping and when I came out of the supermarket it started okay but again no power. It took me another couple of minutes to get any power.

Mark :

Can you phone the garage for the codes?

Mark :

Do you know if this has a DPF fitted in the exhaust?

Mark :

You can tell by your engine code. Either Z13DT or Z13DTJ.

Customer:

Hi Mark,

Customer:

I have just got back in. It took me over 30 minutes to get it started this morning and another 30 minutes to get it started again this afternoon. I will phone the garage just now to see if I can get the codes you were looking for. I really need to get this van fixed as I depend on it for my work Fortunately, I am not busy at the moment but I will be in the next few weeks.

Mark :

Ok

Mark :

Do you know your engine code?

Customer:

No I don't. I'll need to wait until my husband comes home to get it. I only have the VIN for the van at the moment.

Mark :

Give me the VIN. I might be able to get the engine code.

Customer:

The VIN is W0L0XCF2584426001. I have the paperwork from the garage it was last in and this is what they have said.

Customer:

Diagnosed Cold/Non Start Fault. Checked Mass & Map sensors. Checked Components & Wiring to ECU and No Fault found at Wiring or Components. Mass Sensor Reading 0 Volts on Diagnostic Machine on Live Data? Glow Plugs checked for Faults. Fault Codes going haywire on sensors. Suspect ECU Fault. Don't know if this will be any help or not. If you are unable to help me then I will need to get it into local Vauxhall dealer as it is definitely getting worse.

Mark :

Check for signs of water getting into the engine harness multiplugs. Especially the crank sensor plug.

Mark :

There might also be a software update available that your Vauxhall dealer can install to help with poor starting problems.

Mark :

I can't tell from VIN if you have a DPF in the exhaust but if you do it should be checked to see if it is needing regenerated or partially blocked.

Mark :

It would be helpful id you could get the code numbers. Fault codes going haywire means they must have been recorded and present in the system.

Customer:

The guy in garage said the fault codes were going haywire and couldn't get a correct code number. Thanks for this information though. I will phone the garage tomorrow and see if he has a note of any of the fault codes that were present.

Mark :

No problem.

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Customer:

Hi Mark,

Customer:

I have put the van back into garage this morning with the details you have provided. All I can hope is that they will be able to fix the problem.

Mark :

Morning

Mark, Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark,

I have already rated your service yesterday. Just to let you know the garage looked at all your ideas but found nothing. so I am back to square one and I think I will have to now put it in to a Vauxhall dealer to try and get to the bottom of it.

Morag

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Ask the garage to check the engine harness earth connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. They should also carry out a voltage drop test on the earth connections with the system under load to make sure the earth can handle it.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark,

Just back home without the van. When I went to collect it the van wouldn't start. So the guy connected the machine to the van for any codes coming up but none came up. What he did discover though is a fuel problem. The fuel isn't getting through and the machine says it should be 35/40 but the reading was 0. When you went to start it it jumps up to about 25 but then just goes straight back down to 0. Unfortunately, the times it was in the garage it started first time so they couldn't see the problem. He asked me to take it away today and if it happened again next week I was to call them right away and they'd send someone out right away. Fortunately, now I don't have to do that as it happened today.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

The fuel pressure does seem low but I reckon it should be nearer to 250 when starting the engine and not 35/40 as indicated.

This would suggest either the fuel pump is faulty or there is a fault in the pressure regulation control system.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark,

It is still in the garage at the moment. I couldn't swear to that being the correct reading but it looked like the Default Fuel Relay reading and it looked like 35 Mp3 or something like that. However, the Current Fuel Relay reading when he tried to start the van was 0 and another time it short up to 25 and then straight back down to 0 again. It is an absolute pain as I have been without it now since Friday morning and have no transport as my husband takes the car to work.

It is really frustrating when we told the garage right from the start the RAC said it was a fuel problem but they done nothing.

Morag

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

I agree.

Mark

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, we appear to be back to square one. I called the garage yesterday and they are saying once again it is not a fuel problem as they've checked it out. They said they even called Vauxhall and asked their opinion and apparently they were unsure as to what the problem is. The garage said they are still trying to find out the problem and they also said they had disconnected the crank shaft and then connected it again and the van started first time when they tried it. So I am now completely at a loss and if the main dealer do not know what's wrong then what chance do I have.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

I assume you mean crankshaft sensor. If disconnecting it and reconnecting it caused the engine to start then get them to check the condition of all the wiring. Make sure there is no water getting into the connectors.

Mark.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mark,

I did eventually got it sorted out after the van being in the garage for 4 days and then trying everything possible. It did turn out to be a fault with the ECU. They took the van to a Vauxhall dealer for them to run the test and that was what it was. It is running fine but we are still having the same problem with the car and spanner light coming on and the drop in power when it goes from about 50/60mph.

However, as long as it is running at the moment that's all I'm bothered about as it's my busy time with work.

Morag