Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

MY MGF AUTO SLIPS OUT OF GEAR INTO NAUTRAL FOR A MOMENT THEN

Customer Question

MY MGF AUTO SLIPS OUT OF GEAR INTO NAUTRAL FOR A MOMENT THEN SLIPS BACK INTO GEAR.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back..

This is MIKE - Im happy to help you -

Can I just ask before we progress - do you get any fault lights of any sort come on at all?

Too - does the shifter literally / actually move out of drive - or is it just the trans?

What have you done / checked etc so far?

Rgds, MIKE.........................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No fault light come on, shift does not move out of gear,

local garage cleaned contact in shift

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Alan...

Thank you for your reply and further info there -

Ok - with this then, this symptom can actually have several different causes Alan - from low / bad quality ( worn out ) trans fluid to computer issues ( they are electronically controlled ) to solenoid issues, inside the transmission.

I dont honestly feel you are going to get anywhere with this with the local garage Alan - no disrespect to them but from what you have said, it doesn't look promising.

What it needs first is to have the trans fluid checked... level check -and top up if needed and then retry it.
Too - the condition of the fluid - if its black and smells "bad"... then that indicates mechanical troubles inside the transmission -

At that stage - a flush of the transmission / new fluid - and retry should be done.

If its not that - ie, the fluid is ok, then a plug on test using diagnostic equipment , for the transmission system ( not engine system - common garage error believe it or not! ) and this runs checks on the electronics of the trans system... that would need to be the next step - and then progress with what is retrieved / found with that...

In any event, I would strongly suggest to have a local auto specialist do the above for you Alan - they are not more expensive ..and they have the knowledge, fully au fait with these issues....and have all the proper equipment that is needed to fault find and sort this for you.
Frankly, there is so very little anyone can do with trans faults on a Diy basis and most garages send such issues to these people - for the very reasons as above..

So working through as above, you will get this sorted Alan - its going to be the quickest and cost effective way forward for you ...

Let me know how you get on and I will get back to you if you still need..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.