Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2006 VW Polo 3 door, seem to have a lot of water in

Customer Question

I have a 2006 VW Polo 3 door, seem to have a lot of water in near side rear foot well front only slightly damp could it still be blocked drains vents in the front running back .have gently poured water downfront screen with bonnet up to watch the flow, water appears to enter engine conpartment ! a little any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

If the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system.

To get to the pipe you access it from under the car

Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching

also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain

Also access the pollen / cabin filter and remove it then check the chamber in which it sits for dampness

if it is damp then the drain hole at the bottom of the chamber must be plugged and will need to be rodded through
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks for the tips first car i have had and not got a manual!will have to get one to follow up on a few of your ideas i think, will get to these weather permitting (more rain) where do the drain pipes come out from the gully by the wipers just as an extra idea.

Malcolm

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Malcolm

the wiper gulley should drain down through the engine bay

but the chamber I'm referring to - with the pollen filter, takes its intake air from this area too and the drain can get clogged up

as it should exit under the car