sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

my son has a 2003 ford fiesta which has been overheating. he

Customer Question

my son has a 2003 ford fiesta which has been overheating. he took it to the garage on friday and was told it was the 'head gasket' My son didn't bother to ask how much repair would cost as the car isn't worth much but it will be me that has to foot the bill so i really need to know roughly what a repair might cost so that i can work out the best option
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance regarding this.

Which engine is fitted to the car? Do you know the hourly rate the garage charges? If you're unsure of the engine do you have the car registration number?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

VE51 HFX (older than i thought) not sure of hourly rate but i thought most garages charged about the same? I'll have to buy him a new car if i don't repair this one and don't have nega bucks to spend. It's a sound car other than this problem with only 38k on the clock and one previous lady owner

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

as the engine is a 1.3 then this should be a straight forward repair, this is due to the fact the cylinder head is cast iron so is unlikely to have warped when the engine over heated.

The official Ford labour time for removing and replacing the cylinder head is 2.9 hours so including cleaning the mating surfaces where the gasket sits expect no more than 3.5 hours labour.

Unfortunately not all garages charge the same hourly rate, this can vary by quite a lot. If you take an average of £75 an hour then including parts the cost should be no more than £300 plus VAT, if the cylinder head did require skimming to make it flat again then this would add around £50.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Sean. As i'm unlikely to get a replacement car for 300 quid i think i'll look into getting it repaired. Very useful service. Thank you

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

No problem, let me know if I can assist further.

Best regards,

Sean.