Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

rover 216 sli, problem appeared to be fuel starvation

rover 216 sli, original problem appeared to be fuel starvation when accelerating. cleaned all contacts assoiated with airflow sensors, this appeared to solve the problem but now starting the car is a problem, however once started it runs, leave it over night and starting it is very problematic. WHY.

leave for a few hours wants it has started running no problem.

This has made locating the problem even more difficult.

Just been out after leaving car stood for 4 hours, as expected

started, put in drive hit accelerator no problem.

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Are there any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No warning lights are on.

Went out this morning, car started, But 5 mins down the road, hit accelerater, splutter STOP. Would tick over with a slight pause but would

not accept any accelerator, when I managed to get it moving went a few

miles down the road, engine responding normally. two hours after parking up, started engine but run very rough a few miles down the road it ran

normally.

Where exactly do you want this positive response putting.

M.R.XXXXXXXXX

The issue that you are describing is a fuel pump failure. The fuel pump is loosing its prime and is resulting in the issue that you are having,this is a fairly common issue. To correct this problem the pump will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You advised replacing fuel pump, Witch is expenpensive as I now

can,t do it my self. So I ask the question? why the fuel pump when

once the car becomes operational it remains so.

Yes you can replace the pump yourself the tank will need to be lowered with a jack. The problem with the pump is that It is loosing prime which is why the pump has the symptom that you are having.