Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

2005 1.6 petrol, water accumulating around the spark plugs

2005 1.6 petrol, water accumulating around the spark plugs causing failure in the ignition system. Any ideas for stopping water ingress - this is not just in the current very wet weather.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

You probably find this is coolant and not just water , the plug tubes are known to fail and leak coolant into the tubes causing misfire issue.

What i suggest you do is add a block and head leak fluid to your coolant this will seal the leak on the tubes .

The other option is to have the tubes pulled and replaced this is a shop job and special tools are needed.

Here is a good product that you can use :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002X2S3PW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005EQK0YQ&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0DP323TC5F6SHE9MAVDZ

Need further assistance then please get back to me.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure I understand the answer, how does the water get to sit on top of the engine around the plugs?. This doesn't appear to be coolant.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rod .

Okay this is an other matter ,
If the water is on the top of the valve cover and getting into the
plug holes then check the window wiper water hose, this is known to fail and when you use the washer wiper water sprays onto the top of the valve cover from damaged hose going to the washer nozzles.

I suggest you clean out the plug holes and remove the plugs as I've seen plugs rust in due to this issue, once you remove the plugs get a good plug thread copper grease and cover the threads and replace this is an anti size paste comes in a copper or metallic gray .

Rgds Greg