Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

my shogun is making like a humming noise at the back end left

my shogun is making like a humming noise at the back end left hand side.what can it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If the noise your hearing is more speed related ie:- Increases in noise pitch as the vehicle speeds up then you could be looking at wheel bearing failure/wear..usually thats the most common fault for speed related noises from a particular wheel or corner of the vehicle..so that would be something to certainly have checked and listened for before you go ahead with any replacement..another cause could be the rear differential/bearing internally so check for any oil leaks in and around that to..it may also have to be possible to get the vehicle of the ground all wheels and the vehicle put in gear this can too also help with locating the area the noise is coming from..but as above usuallythe most common is rear wheel bearing on that side so that would usually be the first area to have checked out..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i forgot to say that this noise is only when i go to 2200 rpm's and after the car warms up.if i try to keep it on 2200 rpm the noise is constant .only makes this noise at this rpm's,not under and not above.thanks!

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

So i asume by your description this happens when the vehicles sitting stationary?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no,only when i drive.this happens only when i'm driving it never stationary.when i rev it stationary no noise at all

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..thanks for your reply..

Ok..It is certainly sounding more drivetrain related than anything else.as you say it only occurrs when the vehicle is moving..did initially think possible exhaust problem but as you say doesnt happen when stationary..might be something have checked out all the same..but i still think as above it will be more drivetrain related as first suggested either diff/or drive shaft from centre diff to hub..might be worth trying to swap the wheel over from one side to the other and see if the noise moves that would rule out a possible tyre problem..but as above

the only realy way to actuall trace that down would be to get the car in the air and driven upto that point where the noise occurrs and then investigate the sourse area of the noise.that would usually be one of things a garage would try if all else has ben ruled out ie: any excess paly movement in any of those area.wheel bearing.cv.diff play..I do hope this helps