Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Proton Impain year 2006. I seem to be getting a current draw.

Proton Impain year 2006. I seem to be getting a current draw. The car has had 4 batteries but none seem to stand up to winter and go flat within a couple of weeks. My milage is low
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Shantel

This question appears to be outside your perview. It can be the case sometimes when dealing with obscure manufacturers.

I would like to terminate my question and have a full refund of the £21 fee please. I will place the problem with a registered Proton Dealer garage on Monday and see what happens. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

Norman Galloway

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question.

Im more than happy to help you sort the issue you have - please just let me know if you would wish me to do that with you - for you.. then we can progress.

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike

Having a message from Shantel didn't fill me with confidence!

If the issue can be sorted I am more than happy to continue.

The problem is still as described in the first e-mail. Any more information, and I am here.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Norman..

Thank you for your message / reply.

Shantal is a moderator for justanswer , she keeps a good eye on things and tries to just keep customers ' in touch ' as it that if for whatever reason, the question isn't getting a prompt response, she contracts the customers just to reassure them, and help in any way. In my particular cases I have been off with some illness, had I not been , I would have picked up your question a lot sooner. So, I hope. The above just goes some way to explain..

Now. Back to your Proton battery drain issues.. Before I go on , can I just ask, you say it's gone through 4 batteries.. How long are the batteries lasting Norman... ? How long did the last one last ?

Too, are the the correct size /amperage for your model ?

Too.. Have you had any checks /tests of any sort done at all to try and trace the cause.? If so, what exactly has been done .?

Lastly for now, do you have any warn lights on ,on the dash at all when driving ?

And just one further question, if it comes to it, do you have a multimeter, abilities to carry out some tests that I can give you...or is it advice you require to pass on for someone to do do this for you ?

If you can let me know really all the above – can we can carry on and get this sorted for you...

Best Rgds, MIKE......................................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

The batteries have lasted between 12 and 18 months and die in the winter.

Yes, they are the correct size and amp for the model. One was a Protons own.

No, I have not had tests done recently because Milton Keynes is a wasteland for good auto-electricians and the last one told me that it was outside his sphere of influence. I did have a test carried out about 2 years ago and the auto-electrician told me the car was doing everything it was supposed to do.

No, I have not had a warning light ever.

No, I don't have a multimeter and I have a limited physical ability to carry out tests.

And yes, I suppose I am looking for advice in the main so I can monitor and understand what **** I am being fed here in Milton Keynes.

Suggestions will be more than welcome.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Norman - thank you for your reply..

Ok well - reading through your further info Norman, I wonder whether you do actually have a drain fault per se... as when you get this issue, it will normally flatten a battery over night - or certainly over 2-3 days... as opposed to months.

I agree that 12-18 months is not long enough for a battery to last.. but I feel what may be going on here is one or both, of two things... one, the alternator ( which charges the battery, ) or that circuit, is not working properly ..or , as in two, the car is not driven very regular - enough for the battery to be charged in use, and therefore over time, what you are experiencing, will happen.

Now as regards XXXXX XXXXX Norman - you will know - I don't.. I should have asked you... but if that strikes a chord with you - that is a very real possibility. We see this on occasion where a car is used for one / twice or so a week - and espeically over winter / rain periods - where a lot of its electrics are, window heaters - car heater - wiper - lights and so on... and the journeys are just short / shopping etc... then you get the issue of the batteries only lasting as you have.. If you feel Im on to something there Norman, as regards XXXXX XXXXX of the car- that will be your "cause".. What some people do to overcome this issue - with little used cars, is purchase ether a trickle type charger - ideal when a car is that its battery is topped up - this can be left on for days at a time ( or weeks / months with some types )... Or, where a car cannot be garaged - people use the solar ones that sit on the dash and charge the battery plugged into the cars cig lighter... ( I can suggest units for you if needed - if you feel this is the answer )

Now - that covers that issue. If its not as above - and the car has regular use- then the alternator / charge system ( including the condition of the belt - and th tensioner / tension of the belt ) needs checking. Too - the wiring / connections on that circuit must be checked also. They get such issues causing what you have - and no warning lights on neither - because it is charging - but not good enough.

So that / those things need to be checked Norman as above to get to the bottom of this for you..

Let me know re the above - you are welcome to come back to me anytime / as much as needed or if you just wish to discuss it more....

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It would appear that I had a succession of duff batteries over the course of three years because I took the car to my mech in the village and he put a barrery on that works very well indeed. So all is now well. You were on the right track, so thanks very much. Good rating