Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I purchased a new fiat 500 1.3 diesel multimeter in May 2008 The

Customer Question

I purchased a new fiat 500 1.3 diesel multi-jet in May 2008The car was due for its first service at 18000 miles the day before the service I was driving the car to a local supermarket and while waiting at the traffic lights the engine started to rev on its own accord. The result was the engine was completely burnt out and I had the car returned to Bishops of Guildford in May 2009. Fiat said I had put too much oil in the vehicle and said it was my fault, I continued to argue that I had not overfilled the car oil level.It was not till December 2009 I received a call from Fiat Corporate customer services informing me they would replace the engine and any other damage and return the car free of charge The car was used until mid January and serviced at according to the manual by Halfords.However whilst driving on the motorway the engine started to race and the car engine and exhaust bellowed out masses of white smoke identical to the first time the same problem occurred. The car has done 90,000 miles and is now with Bishops again. I have found numerous occasions mentioning the fuel not being burnt off and ending in the oil sump, subsequently when this occurs the fuel ignites and causes the above problem.I also noticed the fuel consumption would suddenly drop from 60+ mpg to 30 mpg for a few moments before returning to 60+mpg, and when trying to determine the oil level I could not get a reading on the dipstick, the dipstick appeared to be covered and no level could be identified! all these issues I now realise would be caused by fuel mixing with the oil! however I seem to off learnt this too late.Would I have a legitimate case against the Dealer to repair or contribute to the repair of my car...Below is an extract from another person having a similar problemThis was a problem with the 500 Multijet a few years ago but I had not heard of it since. Basically, because the DPF was blocked, the extra fuel injected to the engine to regenerate it instead sank to the sump, raising the sump level to the point where the engine ran on its sump oil and the only way to stop it would be to force stall it or cut off its air supply. Fiat Customer Services is well aware of the problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you .

This issue that you have is not an unknown problem as you say - The problem here it would appear though is not straightforward..

Can you please just clarify, what mileage and what time period elapsed between you getting the car back repaired from the dealer - and the issue happening again?

Plus - has any DPF issues been mentioned..or work relating to the DPF ever been mentioned throughout by the dealers - ?

Rgds - MIKE............................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car was returned with a new engine with the kilometer reading 18,000 miles in March 2010.
The car broke engine developed the same problem at 90,000 miles in January this year (2014)
No problem or messages have shown during 70,000 miles.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
What answer
7 hours and waiting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tony..

Im very sorry - I could not get back to you due to connection issues - due to the weather we have.

I will get back to you asap / later - I am just re evaluating your question.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tony - Good morning.

Just to explain the way the justanswer site works - you re listed your question as above before I had got back to you - when you re list like that , it means I totally lose track of the question as it goes back on the Live list.. where I happened on it again - hence, doing a re list causes a delay.

Too - in this case - when you sent your question... you did not mark it with the facility, marking it as urgent at all - I sent you an Info Request , 2 hours 28 mins after you listed the question which is fairly normal -to which you replied with the info I asked for - some 5 hrs and 5 min later... then you re listed your question you can see that I haven't caused the delays you speak of....

I just needed as you can see to explain the situation there..

Getting back to your car engine issues... after fully explaining what has occurred over the time you ask -" Would I have a legitimate case against the Dealer to repair or contribute to the repair of my car.."....

On the face of it the answer to that would be yes - and it is always worth doing - as the replacement engine is only some / coming up to 4 years old and approx 70k miles on it - which is in anybodies world, not long enough for an engine to last..

They will take each case on its own merits -so they will with yours, with the info as above... but as you have not had it serviced at the dealers where info would be readily available to them through their computer networks - they would likely and usually request site / proof of its service history.. so you will need that. Even if you don't have it - its still worth putting the situation to them by way of asking for a good will payment.. but it will go more ion your favour if you have the records.

As to why this situation has occurred again, this is invariably because the oil / sump level is too high - the engine oil then gets sucked up into the inlet manifold and it runs itself do death - as has happened. As to why that has occurred - yes it can happen when the engine is overfilled - so , if this occurred soon after an oil change - you would need to think about that as that could be a possibility ( and often is )... but it is a very real issue where a fuel system fault occurs - by way of faulty injectors, faulty fuel pressure pumps / regulators and so on - causing excess fuel to go past the injectors - flowing into the cylinders and as it has no where else to go, eventually it raises the oil level in the sump - fuel mixing with the oil.. and you get what you had in time. Drivers tend to complain of noticing a poor fuel consumption issue in the run up to this - and thats why...

So I strongly suspect thats whats happened - it will be if it can be proven it was not an over fill on the engine oil... So, bear that info in mind in your dealings with the dealers -and Fiat.

Whatever the dealers say, insist that they put this through to Fiat to further this for you - It is certainly worth doing so - again, as we say, its not an unknown issue - and they will look at it for you --

Do let me know if you need anything else at all - Im always happy to help / advise more if at all needed --

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.