Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a land rover discovery 2013. I started the car, then

I have a land rover discovery 2013. I started the car, then took the key (smart key) out of the car and when I came back in I saw the message "Smart Key Not Found - Refer to Handbook". Basically, I can get the rotary gear selector up. I can start the car but the gear selector comes up and then goes down again. The car seems to be in some kind of a locked mode. I have tried Keyless Start Backup according to the manual but doesn't work. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome.. My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you .

Mike :

Please let me know you are still in Live chat - then we can progress /carry on -

Mike :

Im not receiving anything from you so it seems you have gone off line.. I will therefore switch us to the QA system..and we can carry on there...

Customer:

I am here

Mike :

Hello there..

Mike :

I was about to switch us over now - but as you are here, we can carry on..

Customer:

Do you have any clue how this can be fixed?

Mike :

Ok well it is a "glitch " usually on the systems... other than the reset procedure - have you tried anything else?

Customer:

I just talked to the dealer and they don't have a clue.

Customer:

I tried to use my spare smart key, I tried the "keyless start backup" by putting the smart key underneath the steering wheel as constructed in the manual, but nothing works.

Mike :

Ok - they dont like to give anything away ! -- It is though a 13 reg , so if its more than a glitch - ie, component failure, they will have to have it in and run diagnostics to find the issue and put it right foc for you...

Customer:

Can I do the reset procedure myself or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Mike :

Ok - can you disconnect the main battery for me?

Mike :

No -

Mike :

other than what Im about to describe to you ..

Customer:

Ok, you mean the main battery of the car?

Mike :

By the way ... sorry , first - have you tried the spare key ??

Customer:

Yes

Mike :

Ok and its the same I take it.. so yes, the main battery terminals..

Customer:

How do I do that?

Mike :

Can you do that ?

Mike :

Its just a case of un doing them / disconnecting them - you just need an average small tool set / spanners..

Mike :

Some wont even attempt it or dont have the tools which is why I ask -

Customer:

I think I am in that category...

Mike :

The system hung Im sorry !

Mike :

Are you still with me - ? I sent you more info but its all disappeared !

Mike :

Are you receiving me?

Mike :

Ive not received anything from you since you said " I think Im in that category".....

Mike :

I will give it another min... if I dont hear from you , I will switch us to the QA system - that works fine and we can carry on there.. its a bit slower - but it works !

Mike :

Okay - Im switching us over now - give me a few mins and I will get back to you that way -

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Kris..

I do apologise - it seems the chat system hung us out to dry !

Okay we are in QA now which works fine..

What I was sending you / saying - (when it all disappeared ) .. was that , what you could do is disconnect the main battery - take the leads off.. ( leave the car door open and the keys out ! ).. connect the two battery terminals together - ( link with a wire if they wont reach other )..and leave like that for 10 mins.. Then undo them - reconnect them - and try the car. If that now works, it was a glitch that that has now cured - but if it does it again -it will need LR to have it in and look at it for you properly.

Now I was also saying that if that doesn't work - or you cannot for whatever reason , do that - then being its a 13 reg vehicle - you can call on Land rover Assist... in the UK their number to call is - 0 8 0 0 52 1 7 8 6.

They are free for you to use - they will come to you and plug in to the vehicle and run full diagnostics to properly find the fault and get you going. IF they cannot get you going, they will arrange for it to be taken in and done...

So those are the ways forward for you on this one Kris - there is , other than trying the re set as above, nothing you can really do on this as its totally electronic and it needs the proper test equipment when such an issue arises...

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.