Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

When my 156 V6 reaches operating temperature only hot air comes

When my 156 V6 reaches operating temperature only hot air comes from the ventilation system. The air con. is definitely working but the temperature control knob has no effect. I believe there is a computer controlled flap that I assume has become stuck so that only hot air reaches the cabin. Is it a simple job to fix this (my hands are very arthritic and don't know a spanner from a screwdriver - I just continue to revel in driving this lovely motor after 15 years and 105,000 miles) or do I need to take the car to an Alfa servicing establishment? Neil J
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you.

You are quite right in your thinking - this is controlled as you say - and very often its a blend door ( flap ) problem that causes this - or the drive motor for it -if its the electrically controlled system... If not, then you still get the blend door issues, but they are cable controlled - and it can then be a cable fault.

It will need physically checking / looking at - and it does mean getting right down and up under the dash. If you struggle as you say because of the arthritis, it really isn't the job for you... I would say though that any good local garage can do this for you - and this may well be a lot cheaper on labour costs than a dealer.... But yes, it needs the physical checking as above to determine exactly whats happened there - it can be either as Ive said -and then on to repair as found...

So thats the way forward on this one now .. Let me know if you wish how you get on..

Meantime ,

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.