Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have an Audi a8 3.7 from 1997, its showing faults on the

Customer Question

I have an Audi a8 3.7 from 1997, its showing faults on the computer.
The ABS light stays on and the computer reads that there is an intermittent fault on the seat belt sensors, can these faults be cleared?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you..

To answer your "can these faults be cleared" question - you say later that the mechanic cant clear them. Basically, he wont be able to just clear them on the computer module if there are actual faults in the circuits...

What he needs to do is extract the exact fault codes - both for the ABS system and Airbag systems - they are both totally separate from each other. Once he has the codes - it will tell him where in the systems the faults are that need to be dealt with.

You say - Do I need to buy a replacement air bag and seat belt Ecu.. The two are the same unit.. but the answer is no - not usually anyway. Often the fault is with the wiring - espeically under the seats so that can be checked - but it can be with the receivers - steering squib - anywhere.. again, the codes need to be read to progress / cure this.. The same applies to the ABS - it can be a wiring / connection fault to any one of the four wheel sensors... or a fault with the sensor air gap or reluctor ring .. or sensor itself. It can even be a wheel / hub bearing fault causing a sensor fault reading.. Again - the codes need to be retrieved - It can even be a module or pump fault... you cannot go buying and replacing such parts without knowing for sure what the issue is - thats too expensive !

Im not too sure the mech you are using is fully au fait with the systems / dealing with the the faults you have - because really, he should know the above. You may be best advised having the car in to a garage that knows how to do the fault code testing etc - as above - which will lead you to a proper repair.
That either way, is the way above to get this sorted for you now Alan.

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.