Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

suzuki jimny 34000 miles , intermittent rattling grinding noise

Customer Question

suzuki jimny 34000 miles , intermittent rattling grinding noise from rear of car, not affect by breaking nor changing gear , then goes off when stop or go over bump
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

this sounds like a loose or worn anti-roll bar mounting to me

I'd suggest jacking the rear of the car up so both the rear wheels are off the ground and then use a prybar to move the anit-roll bar against the chassis

there should be almost no play or slack on the bar moutings

I'd also check the strut top mount to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you think it has anything to do with the axle wheel bearings or universal joint or gear linkage stabiliser close to prop shaft?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

rear wheel bearings are a possibility, if you jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about low oil in rear differential?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the noise you've described doesn't sound like a worn or noisy diff to me as these whine all the time the car is moving and grumble / rumble on full load

while you're under there by all means check it but I still think its suspension
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

do you still need help with this?