Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

We have a 2003 Skoda Fabia Blueline Estate. The tailgate is

We have a 2003 Skoda Fabia Blueline Estate. The tailgate is locked shut and the leaver beside the drivers seat will not operate it. All the other doors work with both remote & key.
What can be done to fix it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you...

Sorry to hear of your situation - Im afraid you have either wiring issues to the hatch / lock..or, a faulty lock / mechanism.

If its not working electrically and manually , its usually a problem with the wiring or a manual fault / mechanism -

I note you say you have opened the cover inside the hatch - I assume you mean the tailgate cover -whereby once that is off, you can access / see the workings.. ( If not - you need to do that )

Once inside the hatch - you can see there that you can manually trigger the lock latch so that the tailgate will open - once its open, check the wiring that comes from the car body to the hatch - in the tubing - Often you get a break in there and that will cause the loss of electric control.

Check too the wiring / connections / earths and so on inside the tailgate - and rectify any issues you may find.

If nothing is wrong as above, then either the lock latch is seized or broken -or, the solenoid that operates / works the mechanism has failed - or the actual mechanism.. its always one or the other as above and its then a case of investigating as to which - you have to check these items individually - that way you will find the cause and can repair / replace as you find... So thats the way forward on this one now -

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Have found problem and it was mechanical. Once i took off the cover over the lock mechanism (not the tailgate one) found it was stuck in place. Popped the opening leaver and then sprayed with WD40, later will use light machine oil, everything worked. Also checked wiring couldn't see any breaks.

Thus your guiding advice showed me the correct way to go.

Many thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello there Charles..

Thank you very much for letting me know...and I'm glad all is sorted for you. Glad to have helped too... If there is ever anything else, you know where I am...

All the best, MIKE.

( please take a moment to fill out the feedback tab for me if you haven't done so already... Thank you kindly )