Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hello, i had just purchased a 2007 seat leon 1.9tdi sport and

Hello, i had just purchased a 2007 seat leon 1.9tdi sport and was driving off the forecourt when every warning light on the dash came on and a chiming came from the car, warning lights included handbrake light, traction control, engine management light, power steering and fuel light, the car drove fine, can you advise as to the problem? The car is currently with the dealer awaiting repair but having already got his money I am reluctant too continue the purchase, many thanks, phill
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Most likely cause is either the charging system or the battery is at fault.

Mark :

You might think because the engine starts that the battery would be ok but this is not the case these days. The battery has to deliver a lot more power to run many electrical systems. If it can't do this or the charging system is not working properly then the problems you indicate can occur.

Customer: Hello mark thank you I appreciate your help, by charging system do you mean the alternator as I understand they are quite an expensive repair? Could I ask in my position would you walk away from the vehicle? Thank you,phill
Mark :

Hi Phil.

Mark :

To walk away from it would depend on what I was paying for it and its general condition.

Mark :

Once the dealer repair it, it should be fine.

Mark :

If the car had been on the forecourt for a while without being started then that could have affected the battery.

Mark :

What you should do though is when the garage tell you it has been repaired is ask for a test drive in it with the mechanic that repaired it and make sure it is ok before you accept it.

Mark :

The alternator is part of the charging system, not the only part. The system includes wiring, earth connections, charging light and sometimes maxi fuses.

Customer:

thats wonderful mark thank you very much