Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi. Got a 2004 Golf Mk5. Boot release has packed up suddenly.

Customer Question

Got a 2004 Golf Mk5. Boot release has packed up suddenly. Removed the old one, cleaned it up and still no good.

Have just been and purchased a new unit from VW and....... still it will not open.

This happened a few years back and when I replaced it, it worked fine up and till today.

Any suggestions please.

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE -Im sorry to see you have had a wait.

If the old and now new lock wont work - this suggests that the fault is with the solenoid that operates the lock - or , the wiring to it is at fault... these things will need to be checked.

Its actually quite common for the wires to break - where the wires come from the car body through the link tubes to the tailgate - peel open and have a very careful check in there - check in the roof as far as you can and in the tailgate.. If the wires have broken / chaffed there, you will get the issue you have... So check -and repair if found.

If its not that - and all the wiring / connections are ok in the tailgate - then the mechanism itself is ok, the operating solenoid is usually the fault then and will need renewing... but - do check that the actual lock mechanism is not jamming - sometimes it or the lock latch comes out of position / loose -and adjustment is all it needs ! So do check that - then work through as above to get this sorted for you.

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.