Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Radio change in dodge nitro

I currently own a 2008 dodge nitro 2.8 diesel sxt model and would like to install a 2011 high speed mygig radio my car currently has the six disc radio in it can I do this without any problems
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I can wait a little while but am keen to get some info ASAP thanks
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

This swap can be made however the two harness are different that lead to the radio. There is a adapter for the harness that you will need that is sold for the radio that you are trying to install. The adapter can be ordered at the dealers parts department.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi mike
Thanks for you responce I have contacted the dealership in my area and they told me that if I fitted it, it could damage the cars computer system they never mentioned any harness that I needed in the instructions that came with the unit it looks like the same plug on the back as the radio I have in there now.
The instructions do say that after it is installed it he car needs to go to the dealership for the vin number to be updated and for the settings to be set up on the cars computer or radio I can't make out which. Hence the reason me contacting the dealership I don't know if they are just unhelpful because I didn't buy the unit from them ?
I am unsure if I can plug it in and try turning it on will it work without going to the dealership ? Is it that only some things will work and others will need activating at the dealership? The radio I have at the minute is the one with 6 disc internal loading music/DVD
The new one has sat nav hard drive cd/ DVD hands free it comes with the Ariel for the sat nav and a disc
I also have infinity speakers system in the car
I don't know if this helps make it clearer
Neil
The radio that you are replacing the current radio with will power up and work the new one will not work on the navigation system with out having the vehicle connected to a dealer diagnostic tool. AS far as the harness they look very similar but the pins are different.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi mike
Thanks for your reply,do you know what the harness I need is called or would you have a part number as I don't have very much faith in my local dealership they just tell me I won't fit as it is a 2011 radio and works on a different system and could possibly damage the cars computer system which would be very costly
Also there is no mention in the instructions about this harness is that because they don't intend this radio being fitted in an older vehicle ?
Neil
Yes. Let me see if I can come up with the part number for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the help I look forward to your next message with anticipation
Neil
Here is the part number for you. ASIN: B006C2MGTI
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi mike
Rang dealership today gave them part number but they said it's not one of their parts they have no idea what the part is I tried to explain but they just said it's defiantly not one of their parts would you know where this part would be available
Sorry for having to ask this but I find dealership not very helpfull
Neil
You can purchase this part on amazon.com
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.