Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Re Transit Connect 2005 Diesel. Starts OK,tickover OK,stationary

Re Transit Connect 2005 Diesel.
Starts OK,tickover OK,stationary and out of gear engine will rev around the clock,engage clutch and revs drop with max 2200rpm in all gears with slow uptake. Dramatic loss of power uphill requiring first gear. There is no clutch slip. Vehicle is high mileage 200k but was serviced 4 months ago with new cam belt and has been running well. Your views would be most welcome. [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Mike : Hello and welcome..
Mike : my name isXXXXX happy to help you..
Mike : Can you just please confirm, are you saying the engine races away o it's own..? And does it do this even with the key switched off ?
Mike : too.. Please tell me exactly what tests and or checks etc have been carried out so far..
Mike : As you are not on line now, when you come back, please type your reply here and I will get back to you as soon as possible thereafter. Rgds , MIKE...................

No, when stationary with accel pedal depressed the engine revs freely around the rev counter. Engine starts OK and tickover is OK.There is no smoke from exhaust. With clutch engaged to move off, revs drop and speed pick up is very slow. Revs then limited to about 2000. Up hill power fades away almost completely. There is no clutch slip and brakes are free.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again John -

Thank you for your reply and my apologies for the delay. There was some issues with the Chat system seemingly meaning I could not get back to you - so I have switched us to the QA system which works fine..

Now re the issue you have - I understand what you are saying now re revving round the clock - I was thinking it was free / over revving - but you are saying power is there when revved - but lost on driving - I think Im right there - but do let me know if not !

Assuming Im right there now - This could well have a couple of different causes John - from faulty sensors to injector faults / pump etc... So, just before we go further - I do just need to ask - do you get at warn lights on / flashing etc when this happens - when you are driving it??

Too - I know you said its had diagnostics - but what was the problem there - could they not get comms ( connection to the Ecu )? Or.. ??

What type of garage did the tests John ?

Please just let me know as above , then we can carry on.

Also - if you can , please give me its Full reg too -

Best Rgds John, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike

No warning or flashing lights. Local garage used for diagnostics.

Reg No BJ05 GYA

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again John - Thank you for your reply and further info..
Im sorry I could only just get back to you...

Ok - the first thing to mention is that we often come across situations where smaller type garages have plugged in fault code equipment and come up with nothing. ( or they cannot get correct comms / connection to the Pcm).. and so its dismissed as ok - when very obviously , it isn't.. So in these situations , where there very obviously is a fault, you sometimes have to have a dealer do the test -or a garage with dealer level equipment..

But for now, there are a couple of things you can check. The first is the pipework to / from the turbo / inter cooler.. They often perish and while they look ok, they will move on the road/ in use -and cause a loss of power as you describe. So all that needs checking. Check very carefully - there's a lot of pipework to check and its easily missed especially near the clamps.

I dont feel you have a fuel related issue from what you have described but its worth checking for any air leaks - and especially fuel leak - if you have a fuel leak, you definitely have an air leak - and that will cause this issue.
After the above, there is a very good chance you have a problem with the EGR valve - this should be checked - removed and cleaned and retried.. this is a common issue with this model so should be checked.

Another thing to check is if the brake lights are working... If they are not, the brake light / brake switch is a suspect - this is because it works the lights but also is a multifunction switch - when you brake, it sends a signal to the Pcm, which cuts the fuel to the engine - for economy .. If the switch is faulty, you can imagine the situation - cutting fuel when it shouldn't - hence lack of power. So check the lights - if they are not working, thats a very fair bet - Its not conclusive if the do work though - we'll come back to that.

Those are the common things to be checking on John - after that , IF you don't find the issue, these have a very common fault with the APP - thats the accelerator pedal unit / sensor ( its combined with the pedal )... while with any of this it will rev as you describe, it can give you the same symptoms on the road....

With the above things in mind then John, work through - but - if you don't find a fault to cure it - then rather than spend on replacement parts even though they are educated guesses if you like, I would suggest you have a diag test done as outlined above - and then go from there. This will check all inc the turbo etc... and the multifunction switch for the brake switch.. as I mentioned, even if the lights do work, the side that operates the Pcm may not be - and that needs plug in Live Data testing to verify that..

So thats the way to work through this one now John to get this sorted for you - Im sorry there is not a "it will be this / that " answer... the symptoms you have are common - but have different causes... but working through as above you should get this sorted.

If you need anything else at all...let me know - Im always happy to help more so if needed..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.