Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289
Car

I have a 2009 Hyundai i30. I have to depress the clutch almost

through the floorboards to get... Show More
through the floorboards to get a smooth(ish) gear change and not always then. It's driving me mad. Is there anything I can do about it? I understand its a hydraulic clutch. Otherwise i really like the car.
Mike Franklin
Category: Car
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Does the clutch pedal feel heavy or feel like lack of pressure?

Any issues burning smells as such or any signs the clutch maybe slipping before?

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

The clutch pedal is heavy but I don't think the clutch is slipping. No burning smells. I just don't think it should have to go to the floor before engaging.

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

You are correct in that the clutch control side is mostly all hydraulic in regards XXXXX XXXXX master cylinder that the clutch pedal operates to send hydrauilc fluid under pressure when depressed to the slave cylinder down at the gearbox to clear/disengage the clutch to enable you to change gear easily.No you shouldnt have to have the pedal slammed to the floor to get it in and out of gear...the fact that you do have to have the pedal straight to the floor would suggest the fault being with the hydraulic side being at fault as appossed to a possible clutch assembly fault - lack of movement at the slave cylinder possible siezed internally or fault master cylinder or fault on the supply line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder - also check for any possible leaks on either of the two cylinders which both need to be carefully inspected for leaks at the gearbox aswell as up within the foot well/floor pan for fluid leaks - pedal box area..they use the same fluid as brake systems do so it should be easy to see if one or the other is leaking if there is any leak from either of those cylinders they will need replaced .Like mentioned one other option would be to try and have the clutch slave/master system re-bled,but they will need to check for any potential binding in both cylinders - and see if that make any form of improvement..I do hope this helps

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much. That's a great help.

Cheers

Mike