Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi, I have just bought a 520d (late 2010) a few days ago -

Hi, I have just bought a 520d (late 2010) a few days ago - when driving back home and going onto motorway I noticed a slight knocking noise / rattle / clicking when the clutch was down or stayed down - when I lifted the clutch back up, the noises went - it reappeared when I depressed the clutch again... what might this be - I am taking the car back on Monday but don't want to be fobbed off as happened with a previous car once before only to find that 6 months later there was a major issue. Any advice or possible causes? And this might have been the stretch of motoryway, but the car was vibrating as if there had been a puncture? I drove into the services station but tyres all OK. Drove better when I joined the motorway again so could have been the road surface, but still the clutch dip related noise was there and when I was reversing into my drive, I could also hear it when clutch dipped. The following morning it was fine, and have not driven it since as been away on business in other car.

Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

This sounds like the start of a problem with the dual mass flywheel.

Mark :

This is quite expensive to replace so you mention to the dealership when you go there that this is what you think it is.

Customer:

Thanks - how would you describe the typical symptoms if not identical to how I described?

Mark :

The knocking,rattling and clicking

Mark :

Go to google and search 'dual mass flywheel failure symptoms' and see how many you identify with.

Customer:

Are there any other possible causes - just so I have every base / option covered if it is not the flywheel or in case they say that it "can't possibly be this"? The dealer is a larger reputable one and I suspect it will be fine - but I had a terrible experience with Jaguar a few years back on a brand new car... so don't want the same nonsense.

Mark :

There is no way they can say the flywheel cannot be the cause. It is the single most cause of what you are getting.

Mark :

There can be other causes of course but this is the main one.

Mark :

Did you search google?

Customer:

Ok, thanks - the other causes though - what are they? Just checking out the flywheel symptoms (by the way this is consistent with a taxi driver's view I was speaking with yesterday)

Mark :

Every manufacturer is having similar problems.

Mark :

Other possibilities would be the clutch pressure plate being warped or the release bearing.

Mark :

But most likely is flywheel.

Customer:

Many thanks Mark - I think that nails the options and the most likely cause for me - I feel armed for an informed discussion (and it will be a robust one) - irony is I only wanted to get a new car because I feared my VERY RELIABLE Honda Civic might let me down at 95000 miles but it never has in 5 years - I get a quality prestige car and it fails me in 5 days! Anyway, thanks very much for the patience in asnwerin my questions

Mark :

No problem.

Mark :

How many symptoms do you identify with?

Mark :

I would say most of them.

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Customer:

Done - rated as excellent - thanks again and good evening

Mark :

Thanks and you too.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi again. Just to let you know your rating for my answer has not gone through for some reason. Can you recheck it at your end and adjust it.

Mark.