Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Have a toyota lucida 2.2 diesel import,just had a new cam belt

Customer Question

Have a toyota lucida 2.2 diesel import,just had a new cam belt fitted,drove it for 22 miles then got a rattling noise and black smoke,then engine management light came on,stopped and turned car off.After 2 mins turned ign back on and it was all fine for about 18miles then it happened again,now does it every few minutes.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Was the cam belt kit installed or just the belt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just the belt

From what you are describing this issue is from a failing timing belt tensioner, the belt tensioner is oil driven and this sounds like it is not holding pressure, this is common.