Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

fuel not reaching plugs on my rover sd1 fuel reaching carbs

Customer Question

fuel not reaching plugs on my rover sd1 fuel reaching carbs put three sets off new carbs on still same proplem can not be a carb proplem as first thought
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd suggest removing the top off the carb float chamber to see where the fuel level is sitting inside
as it should be about 2/3rds full of fuel

if this is OK then I'd check to see if you're getting spark as if the engine isn't running then its going to struggle to draw enough vacuum to pull fuel through

if there's spark then check the plug leads are onto the distributor in the right order and that the ignition timing is correct

this has to be set with the engine running using a timing light and you can set it roughly by turning the engine to TDC no 1 and the pop the distributor cap off to ensure that the rotor arm is pointing to cylinder 1 post / plug lead