Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Daewoo Kalos and the problem I have is that when started

I have a Daewoo Kalos and the problem I have is that when started from cold the engine dies when I am going up a hill. I have had a new Battery and new thermostat and my mechanic cannot find anything wrong. Please can you help me.

Hazel King
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Does it cut out instantly or eventually cuts out/missfires lack of power as such?

Any warning lights on when this happens or prior to when it cuts out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If its going uphill the engine cuts out and the engine light comes on. When I restart it it is only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders and then it settles down again.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..Probably the first area to check would be the fuel system/pressure as such - sometimes if low fuel pressure/fuel starvation is seen by the ecu can trigger the engine light in some cases a bit like running out of fuel..so it certainly would be well worth getting a new fuel filter on it aswell as a check on the fuel pressure to ensure it still within spec and fuel pump is working correctly to maintain pressure.another apart from a weak failing ignition coil - could be failing crank sensor as this along with cam sensor are the main sensors for ignition firing/fuel system if one of these become faulty or loose signal can cut the engine out...I note you do say the EML does come on when this occurs this means the ecu is actually detecting the fault and storing the relevent fault code when the fault occurs..so if possible it would be worth seeing what those codes are so the car would need to be plugged in to get those..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate