Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years trade experience

Hello, I hit a speed bump quite hard and fast on the right

Hello, I hit a speed bump quite hard and fast on the right hand front wheel and heard a loud thud. I am currently away from home and don't know whether I will be able to drive back or will have to call my breakdown cover out as the clearance between the wheel and the arch has halved! What do you think I should do? And what do you think I have damaged? Will it be okay to drive the hour back home to a garage?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Usually the most common fault you generally see if someone has hit a speed bump at speed is the spring itself fracturing or snaps - this have to be checked in particular around the bottom spring seat on the shock too aswell as chick up in that top suspension turret see if that whats happened - aswell as check the bottom end of the broken spring isnt sitting beyond the lower spring seat and potentailly come into contact with the tyre itself,something you certainly need to check out - if the cars sitting lower at one side the side you hit then its possible thats maybe whats happened..its certainly something to check on anyway. ..maybe your breakdown cover can come out and check that for you too see if its safe to drive that distance back to your garage or not.Its pretty hard to say wither its safe to drive or not as we can't see the will only know that once all items on that side have been inspected - ie:- the spring itself - the lower control arm/balljoint is still intact and hasnt suffered damage as would be the safest thing to do,or best advice - is get somebody out to inspect that side first and see whats found..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay cheers XXXXX XXXXX if the spring looks intact, which it does then do you think it'll be okay to drive back? Even though it is lower on one side. Think my breakdown cover is a large excess but if I need to call them when I return home on Friday then I will
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Would like to know if it can be driven home on a slightly low shock
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer.
I would strongly advise you have this recovered .
If your suspension spring is intact then this will not cause the vehicle to sit lower .
What I do know is that the polo will bend the lower suspension arm in an event like what has happened.
regards rob
Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 years trade experience
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..Apoligies for the delay..

As previously mentioned in my last post - you should have this checked out before you use the vehicle any further...To see what extent of damage has occurred - you will only know this once it been accessed....The likely hood will be to have the vehicle lifted and recovered to your home or garage.unless you know of a good/reputable mobile mechanic locally in the area your in - can fix the vehicle onsite... I do hope this helps and sorry for the delay..Please dont forget to rate "my answer"..If you need to ask anything else then just ask for me.and i'll get back to you as soon as possible..