Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My 1.6litre turbo diesel DSG Octavia has developed a knocking

My 1.6litre turbo diesel DSG Octavia has developed a knocking sound in the engine in 2nd and 3rd gears particularly when revs are 1500 to 2000rpm.
To all appearances it sounds like 'pinking' but obviously can't be as it's a diesel!
There is also some clutch shudder yet the car is only 3yrs old with 73000km on the clock.
As Skoda experts, can you tell me if this problem is unique to me or is it a known problem?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Dublin 14, Ireland.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise..

Can you please tell me what checks have been made so far on your your Skoda diesel .??

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None whatsoever!

I find it difficult to believe that my car is unique in this regard, hence my email to Skoda experts who presumably are aware of issues with this particular Skoda engine,

Skoda in Ireland are mystified by it, say it could be a pump issue or timing issue.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Derrick -

Thank you for your reply and further info.

Well - "pinking " in a diesel is similar - its called injector / diesel knock.. that can happen. Usually caused by a timing fault / pump fault or injector/s fault... that would need plug in diagnostics doing to test / see exactly how the pump / timing and injectors are running to ID if there are any issues there thats causing this... so that needs to be done.

Other than an issue such as that - these do have a common issue with premature failure of the DMF. .. Thats the dual mass flywheel. These flywheels are a very complicated piece of machinery - totally unlike "yestertear" when they were a simply round flat piece of steel.. they are a multi complex arrangement of springs etc etc -- and they do fail... when they do, they can cause the engine to seem / feel as though its running rough, sometimes misfiring symptoms, and noise / vibration even, and especially at rick over / low revs.

So Im sure from what you have said and described, the fault will be found to be one of the other as above - they need to work through the above to find / cure this for you.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert