Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi my vantage v8 feels notch when changing from 1st to 2nd

Customer Question

Hi my vantage v8 feels notch when changing from 1st to 2nd under load.!
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

is this from cold or on all gearshifts?

also how many miles are on the car and what year is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it is when warmed up. 18000 miles and it is a 2008.

Cheers

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Ok 1st thing to try is a change of transmisson oil as this usally helps

the best gearbox oil I've come across to date is the Redline MTL oil

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1019-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-lubricant-mtl-75w-80-gl4.aspx

I'd also bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The oil has been changed.

As for bleeding all other gears are fine, reverse all so. Second just seems a catch when pulling off hard, it as if you can feel the cogs of the gears engaging !!

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

The Graziano transmisson used in these does have a double synchro cones on the 1st 3 gears to help with power shifting but it does mean it can sometimes feel a little clunky.

the reason I say to try bleeding the clutch is that it'll usually provide a slightly stiffer clutch pedal ( especially if you use a dot 5 fluid instead of dot 4) which in essence speeds up the clutch repsonse and ensures that its well clear by the time you're moving the gear lever and buys a bit more time for the synchro cones to work and so improves the shift quality

If the replacement oil that used was the aston martin service part then this isn't as good as the redline