Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

how do I renew horn switch on my 2001 seat Ibiza 1600 spor

how do I renew horn switch on my 2001 seat Ibiza 1600 sport
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes ok to wait for answer

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ...

Please first give me the Full reg number of the car - then we can progress...

Best Rgds. MIKE........................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

original reg no y619SUD personalised reg y60 rdm

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for that - both reg's will come up for me..but thats great thank you -

Ok -now even with the reg, yours is right on a year change..

What Im thinking is, this may not be the switch at fault... On some of these variants, there is a separate alarm horn ... so the horn you hear on the alarm - may be that . ( Others use a siren )

The best thing to do before you do anything , is to give your local Seat ( or even Vw Audi ) dealer parts dept a call... Have your VIN to give them - and ask if yours has a separate alarm horn or not.

If it does - then I suspect you have a failed actual horn - and that is very common on these.. In which case, thats a simple replacement - unbolt /. undo the wire clip - and change over.

If it is that its not that one - then back to the horn switch and I can tell you how to change that -

You have an airbag there of course which means you need special precautions - as follows :

• Ensure ignition switched OFF.
  • Remove ignition key.
  • Disconnect battery earth lead. Make sure accidental reconnection is not possible.
  • No waiting time required before commencing work.

Special attention

• Disarm system and remove driver's airbag.
  • Spiral cable mounted on steering wheel.
  • Centralise steering and disconnect spiral cable multi-plug(s) before removing steering wheel.
  • Steering wheel MUST NOT be rotated while retaining nut/bolt loose.
  • Spiral cable MUST NOT be rotated while steering wheel removed.
  • Replacement spiral cable held in central position by cable tie. Remove during installation.

Here is a pic for you to go with the above - showing the screws at the back of the steering wheel you need to remove the air bag - to get at the horn switch arrangement..You can see quite clearly once the airbag is off how the switch is changed - But - do check the wiring connections before replacement.

graphic

Do let me know if you need anything else - but that is the way forward on this one now..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.>>>..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert