Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Got a 2007 leon cupra 2.0 tfsi with a coolant leak problem

Customer Question

Got a 2007 leon cupra 2.0 tfsi with a coolant leak problem that looks like the coolant is leaking past the bottom hose at it's flange to the black plastic chamber (not a clue what it's called?) that goes up the front of the engine! Only leaks when under pressure, the expansion tank empties but the engine temp remains stable at 90. Have to keep topping up daily! Can you help, please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..Sorry for the delay..

Going by your description of an canister object that would be the coolant regulator/thermostat housing like pictured below..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This is an all plastic housing bolted to the engine - there is ring seal inbetween that and the engine to inspect for leaks - aswell as that any small fracture wouldn't be easily seen especially if this is under pressure..the only way to fully verify that would to artificially pressurize the system "cold engine" via the expansion tank..its a special tool that fits in place of the expansion tank cap builds up pressure in the system and thus forces the leak to appear to investigate there is also another way of using a uv dye and pour some into the coolant run the engine and then by using uv light/special glasses go around that area to see where the dye leaks out from..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert...

Thanks for that, it is as I suspected. The leak seems to disappear as quick as it comes because when I open the bonnet it's all but dried up sometimes but I need to refill expansion tank with approx 2 pints of water! How easy / difficult a job is it to change? I was a qualified mechanic, in my youth, and still have all my tools etc If it is reasonable to change, what would I need to be aware of and would I need any special tools? Approx how much would they cost, if you know please?

Again many thanks,

Paul Minshull

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Its more room to get at it thats the problem there is only generally two bolts holding that housing on anyway - the main item to remove will be your alternator to get a better view the housing sits quite near the timing side of the/water pump - ive got some details below for the BWA engine - no special specific tools for this job - cost wise usually around £40 mark however that dpends where you aquire it from dealer will obviously be the most expensive route it will come as complete housing and should inc the the o ring seal..

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here