Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

outlander 2005. why am I getting poor fuel consumption on

outlander 2005.
why am I getting poor fuel consumption on motorway trips? I recently replaced a faulty fan controller hoping this would solve the problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Can you tell me what engine you have?

What is your consumption figure?

What method you used to measure consumption?

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mark

The engine is 2.4 petrol the model is outlander sport. The fuel consumption figure is 21 mpg around town and cruising on the motorway. towing it drops to about 16mpg.

only the onboard computer.

Bob

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

The onboard computer is not the most accurate way of working out the actual consumption figure.

What it does do is work out the complete average from when it was last reset till now. It incorporates all driving and sitting in traffic with the engine running.

The best way is to fill the tank to maximum, reset the trip meter, run the car for say 100 miles and then refill the tank again. You can then use the figure for how much fuel you put in and work out the exact mpg.

Mark

Mark, Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is the way I do the calculation in my other car and it works ok. So, what you're saying is reset each time and calculate that way. Will that stop the fuel gauge needle going down as quick as it does now! When I first acquired the car the mpg part of the instrument went up and down the scale as it should even with the fan fault that's now cured.

Bob