Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

If I remove the fuse for the central locking on my Seat Toledo

If I remove the fuse for the central locking on my Seat Toledo would it prevent the electric windows from opening on their own? Just to let you know, the central locking hasn't worked for a long time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name isXXXXX a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Customer:

Windows open on their own and at the same time the hazard lights come on for a short period of time. I've tried removing the fuse for the electric windows but they still open on their own. The central locking hasn't worked for along time. We have bee locking the car manually with a key. As we don't use the central locking I'm wondering if I remove the central locking fuse that it might cure my problem.

Ross :

Ok, removing the central locking fuse should stop this happening, I will refer to my wiring diagrams to confirm this, however the root cause of this is quite simple to fix, its caused by the micro-switch on the door lock assembly, the car has full closure which means when you hold the key in the lock position in the door all windows will go up, the same happens when held in the unlock position, all the windows go down, if the lock is broken or the switch is sticking the windows will go down by them self, usually randomly. Either stripping and cleaning the switch or replacing the door lock assembly will cure the problem, if the key just turns in the lock, it will need a new locking barrel/pin which acts upon the switch.

Customer:

If you could refer to your wiring diagram and confirm this information I would be very grateful. The car is a Seat Toledo, year 2000. But your help and information has been amazing. Thanks very much, I may soon have dry seats in my car once again.

Ross :

No problem. Can you let me know the fuel type and engine size of your car please so i can see the correct diagrams, thanks.

Customer:

Fuel, petrol.

Customer:

Engine size: 1781cc

Ross :

Thanks, yes removing this fuse should cure the problem until the switch is fixed.

Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael, I'm just following up to make sure you found the correct fuse and to see if this cured the problem, If you do need more assistance with this or have any further questions I'm always here to help, many thanks, Ross.