Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Reliant E Reg Robin which, Im Told, builds up pressure

Customer Question

I have a Reliant E Reg Robin which, I'm Told, builds up pressure in the engine making the water temp guage read hot. What causes this and how is it repaired?

Thank you XXXXX XXXXXham
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if its making pressure then its quite possible that the head gasket joint is failing and allowing combustion gas into the water system

the thing to confirm it is to try a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

if it does show that there's combustion gas present then the 1st thing to do is remove the cylinder head and check both faces for flatness and skim if required then fit a new gasket