Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

why does my merc r 107 (500 sl) gets wet in the footwells and

Customer Question

why does my merc r 107 (500 sl) gets wet in the footwells and what can I do about it
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

need to have it sorted. stay on it please. additional info: happens when raining. other sl owners say same thing. seems to come in where fuse box is sitting on right hand, not sure about left. thanx

Thank you for getting back to me and providing additional information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

If the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system.

To get to the pipe you access it from under the car

Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching

also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain

check where the scuttle panel ( the area just under the windscreen) meets the body and there should be some rubber plugs to seal where the wires come into the car

check that these seals aren't torn or cracked