Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Chevrolette Lacetti 1.8 2007 Automatic. On occasions,

I have a Chevrolette Lacetti 1.8 2007 Automatic. On occasions, when first starting vehicle, if foot is not depressed hard enough on brake pedal when putting into drive or reverse, it seems to be hard to get into gear, and engine management light comes on.
Car runs fine, and changes gear as it should. If engine is switched off and left for an houir or so, the engine management light will go off, and the car runs fine until the next time it does it.

Thank You.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

One of the first places to check as you describe having to depress the brake pedal quite hard down to get out of park would be the position switch/brake pedal switch .It may have moved out of position and tus having to pres the pedal further or become faulty in itself - usually if this happens the vehicle will not come out of park as part of the safety feature.this switch is also monitored by the ecu hence the reason why the eml comes up..but if at all possible maybe interogate the ecu for the fault codes and see what its picking up on and see if it related to to the position switch on the pedal..if it is then it would be a case of checking to ensure it position correctly on the pedal or replace the switch itself..going by your description it certainly sounds like that whats at fault..I do hope this helps