Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds

Mercedes sprinter making growling noise from gearbox or clutch

Mercedes sprinter making growling noise from gearbox or clutch in all gears except 4th. Makes a quieter but still noticeable growl when in neutral on tick over. Noises stop when you press clutch in both cases. 2010. 316 lwb pick up. Any suggestions please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
This noise is almost certainly the thrust bearing that engages the fingers on the pressure plate .
the gearbox will need to be removed to replace this bearing and would advice you replace the clutch at the same time.
If you need more help on this please reply .
regards rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why would thrust bearing not make any noise in 4th gear? Can accept thrust bearing for tick over but sounds more of grinding . I would have said clutch if it wasn't for 4th being quiet?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

This is caused by a bearing in the gearbox. Probably a layshaft bearing.

The reasons for this diagnosis is this.

When you have the engine running and press the clutch then the first motion shaft slows down or stops if held down long enough.

The lay shaft is also used to drive through every gear except 4th which is straight through from the first motion shaft to the main shaft. Although the layshaft will still turn it will not be under load which is why it quietens down.

The quick fix is to replace the gearbox as it means buying a secondhand one and just fitting it rather than removing the gearbox, stripping it down, replacing the bearings and any other worn parts, rebuilding it then refitting it.

I would also recommend you replace the clutch assembly at the same time although it does add to the expense.

Mark, Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds