Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an elderly Yamaha Golf Buggy and it smokes badly

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

whats most likely is the rings are worn on the engine and to properly fix this its an engine out and rebuild with a new piston - possibly rebore the block to remove any wear

potentially going up to a thicker oil wil help but this is a delaying tactic really
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou. I am sufficiently aware of the advice you gave me, but as I am a elderly pensioner, I was hoping for something other than a thicker oil to add to the engine.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Don

I'd also check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve.

if this is Ok then its going to need a rebuild as I 1st mentioned
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will try that. Thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem Don

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.

However you can keep asking questions on the same post as the process is supposed to a be a dialogue with information going back and forth to solve the problem