Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a problem with my mini 2002 It came up with ep on the

Customer Question

I have a problem with my mini 2002 It came up with ep on the dash I took it to bmw they said it's the gear box position selector sensor but at private garage on the ethos computer it's saying transmission position sensor (PRNDL)malfunction can you tell me if these are the same sensor and can you send me a picture of it and part number thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name isXXXXX a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Ross :

I can confirm the gearbox position sensor and transmission position sensor (also know as range sensor) are the same sensor. This is a common failure as a result of corrosion and is located on the underside rear of the gearbox.

I will post an image of the sensor along with the BMW Part number.

Full Size Image

Part number 4 (circled in red) Is the part you require, the part number is XXXXX listed as 24357-518731 This number may change slightly as the parts are updated or revised, however if you offer this part number or the image provided to the parts supplier they will be able to match this to the part you need.

Ross :

I hope this helps if you need further details or have further questions please feel free to reply, otherwise if your happy with my help, a positive rating is appreciated, thanks, Ross.

Customer:

From your experience do you know can I get that item to buy

Ross :

Companies such as Euro car parts, GSF and your local independent auto factor will be able to match the part number and often stock the part, or will be able to order it, these are usually the cheaper option for an after market part. Otherwise your local BMW/MINI Main dealer will be able to order the part however they usually carry the part on the shelf as its a common failure.

Customer:

Thanks again the answer you gave me as cleared off the chat page how can I retrieve this

Ross :

No problem, will convert this chat into Q&A mode, this will let you review our entire conversation, you can continue to reply to me if necessary in Q&A mode.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello just I went to bmw and they are saying I need the whole complete gear stick and cable is really the case or if I change the sensor that will do the trick