Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

My car has lost most of its pulling power. It starts fine,

My car has lost most of it's pulling power. It starts fine, the engine sounds fine it pulls away ok, but labours to reach a speed to enable changes of gear and when it eventually gets up to 4th or 5th gear it goes at no more than 40mph and if you accelerate, there is no more pull there. There was also a whining noise and a sort of ticking noise coming from the engine compartment as I was driving. We had the day before travelled 600 miles with no problems.
Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

What engine do you have?

Customer:

I think it's the 1.6 Diesel variomatic.

Customer:

I presume I have a transmission problem?

Mark :

Is there any engine or transmission fault lights on?

Customer:

No

Mark :

Have you driven through any large puddles?

Customer:

I don't think so, but it was raining coming back to London from Halifax the day before, but the car was fine at 8pm on Saturday and started to lose power at 11pm that same day and it was not raining, but a bit frosty.

Customer:

It had been parked up between 8-11pm

Mark :

Does the engine rev freely when in neutral?

Customer:

Yes

Mark :

Do you hear the whining noise or ticking noise when the engine is revved in neutral.

Customer:

I did run the fuel tank very low, but it was showing 35 miles left before it would run out and we filled it up at 11pm

Customer:

No

Mark :

Did filling with fuel stop the noise?

Customer:

No

Customer:

The noise was not so bad yesterday

Mark :

If you have let it nearly run out of fuel it may have let the fuel filter become restricted. The first thing I would try is a new fuel filter.

Customer:

Would having crap in the fuel system cause a lack of power in drive if the engine ran well in neutral?

Mark :

Yes, because it is under less load.

Customer:

Makes sense - How do I get to the fuel filter?

Mark :

in neutral

Mark :

I think on that engine it is too the right hand side of the cylinder head and a bit of a pain to replace.

Customer:

I have a friendly mechanic.

Customer:

If it's not the fuel filter?

Mark :

It does sound like some sort of fuel starvation.

Mark :

You would need the use of a scan tool to check if any fault codes have been recorded. If it could also display live data then you could check the fuel pressure requirement figure and the fuel pressure actual figure were similar.

Customer:

I will get my mechanic on it. Thanks

Mark :

No problem

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Customer:

Will do