Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

2009 Hyundai Sonata. Whilst parking the car yesterday after

2009 Hyundai Sonata.

Whilst parking the car yesterday afterXXXXXa lot of white/greyish smoke billowed out from under the bonnet.There was a strong smell of burning plastic. (Just a week earlier the front driver side electric window would not roll up but I got this fixed in garage with replacement panel),. Wonder is there a connection .? Can you advise what this might be.?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Was there any obvious signs of engine performance issues or anything at all warning light wise come up on the dash prior or after the smoke incident happened?

Anything in the car electrics/electronic wise suddenly stopped working or any engine performance issues?

Which side under the bonnet was the smoke seen more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Robert,

No, No engine performance issues. I came back to car a few hours later and moved it a few metres to safer position.

I did not see any warning lights.

The smoke seemed to be evenly distributed from front of bonnet.

Regards,

Sean.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok.. Its does sound like you may have incurred a small electrical short and caused wiring to smolder and create the smoke you seen that one possible idea ..hence the acrid smoke you observed.. This unfortunatly needs to be thouroughly investigated - if that window still works ok then i cant really see that being the cause..the next step i would suggest is to do as above and have carefull check around the engine bay and see if you can spot anything obvious as per any burnt plastic or wiring etc..so its really a case of checking all the wiring and looms you can see and check and trace them around the engine bay aswell as check main fuse panels/boxes too aswell as around the battery itself..for evidence of wiring damage etc..it can be hard to say exactly what caused that over the net to be honest im afaid the only option is to do as above and see what you find..it will take a bit of time to check everything..one other thing to check for too are any obvious leaks in regards XXXXX XXXXX even so again checking the fluids havent dropped etc would be something else to check - aswell as that inspect the belt side of the engine with the engine off and have carefull look down there to see if you can see any evidence of the belt maybe rubbing up against timing cover etc..but as above that the way forward on this one im afraid and see what you find..I do hope this helps