Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

I own a 2011 Kia Ceed 1.6 Crdi 113 with a DPF. It has done

I own a 2011 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Crdi 113 with a DPF. It has done 40,000 miles but now my job has changed so I will only be doing a maximum 6,000 a year, mainly short journeys with most days not being used.

Is this low mileage likely to cause Dpf issues further down the line and if so would I be better off switching to petrol? Would using premium diesel help?

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

In a sense based on the generally low mileage as you suggest above - then you could actually be better of with a petrol..The current rule really if you are currently doing less than 10,000miles a year say - then you would generally be better off actually running a petrol engine..Diesels as they are nowadays are pretty economical "but" only if your doing long journeys motorways as such/comutting everyday will you see this - as this sort of continual/longer time usage also to helps allow the car to self regenerate the DPF "diesel particulate filter" that diesels have now to burn off the excess soot/particles that the dpf captures..hence why alot of diesels which are generally used on very short journeys/trips each day tend to in some cases have problems with these since the engine/dpf isn't getting upto temp as cold diesel engine will produce more soot until it warms up or you get a series of failed regenerations attempts by the cars ecu as the dpf isnt getting long enough or hot enough even to be able self generate which car performs itself to keep the filter clear and burn off that soot,low ash oil too has to be used to help reduce that too - unless you do a high speed runs each fortnight/monthly long motorway runs roughly to help reduce any problems in that area - if not they tend to need to be force regenerated or replaced at huge cost....I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for fast response, before i accept, just wanted to clarify if the premium, cleaner diesels may help at all or if in my circumstances, petrol is the safest option...

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

In my opinion using a higher grade diesel may help in some form.prob to reduce smoke and get a better responce from the engine - but as you'll know will be a little more expensive than your regular it could help to reduce or extend the time or health of the dpf - but i can't really see that helping - the DPF and how it works is based on "temperature" and able to reach that desired and have that stable temperature to enable it to complete its self regenerate process usually this can be triggered by the ecu monitioring for example differential pressure sensor on the dpf or through mileage based where it will trigger to burn off that captured soot inside the based on my opinion and based on experiance i cant see using a higher or more expensive diesel would help..I do hope this helps further

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK