Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an Audi TT Roadster and the carpets on the passenger

Customer Question

I have an Audi TT Roadster and the carpets on the passenger front and rear footwell are soaking wet after all this rain, there is also condensation build up in the boot help I can't take any more Karol
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Karol

the drains are if you have a sunroof or not

If the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system.

To get to the pipe you access it from under the car

Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching

also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain

and I'd also remove the pollen filter and check inside its chamber for any signs of water as these shoud have a drain for water to escape and they can clog up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Matt I will check all these out.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
glad to help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've checked the drainage holes on either side of the sun roof they don't seem to be blocked. I poured water around the drainage hole and seals of rod and water came out from a hole underneath the car, however at the same time the passenger rear footwell became wet again, could the drainage pipes be perished ? If it has how big a job is it to replace? Also if water gets in between the roof seals and the car where would the water go? I'm asking because I can get my finger in between and wonder if this is another place for water to leak into the car? I forgot to say with all the rain and water getting into the car I also found water about 1/2 an inch of water underneath the spare wheel? I can't check the rest of your suggestions yet as I can't get underneath the car.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Karol

It does sound like the drainage pipes could be either dislodged or split

its farly involved to get to them as the headling and roof pillar trim all has to be removed so 'd bank on a days labour to access the pipes and rectify the issue

also you say its a roadster ( convertible) but it has a sunroof? is it hard or soft top?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Soft top, didn't mean to call it a sun roof
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Karol

OK in that case this sounds like the drains for the roof cavity are probably blocked as water is meant to run over the roof an between the car body and then exit under the ar

if the drain for the cavity are blocked then its overwhelm the seals and flood into the passenger compartment

so my advice still stands but the work involved isn't so bad as its a case of removing the interior trim panels in the back to access the roof drainage and clear them out

anticipate 1/2 a days work for a Audi specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem