Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Starting problem. Engine turns over ok but does not fire up.

Starting problem. Engine turns over ok but does not fire up. Slightly better with a cold engine, but terrible when warm or hot.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help..

What is the mileage on the vehicle?

What is its service / recent repair history - ie, when was the last service time / mileage wise?

What have you done / tried so far - ? any tests of any sort diagnostically / parts replaced etc?

Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mileage is 95000, last service approx 6 momths ago about 89000 miles, nothing tried so far.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mileage is 95000.

Last service at approx 88/89000.

Nothing done yet, don't know where too start.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Peter..

Thank you for your reply... Im sorry I was not on last eve..

I have been looking at this for you though -- can I have the Full reg number... I need to just check on the exact management system you have on yours -

Rgds - MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Updated info, I was trying to do it remotely (it's my son in laws vehicle)

Reg: EA06 KBZ

Mileage 135000

Last serv 115000

He has changed the mass airflow sensor unit as advised by a friend.

Apologies for earlier incorrect info.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Peter.

My apologies, I'm afraid I've been off ill the last few days, so I've only just had your reply /info..

...so, just before we progress Peter.. Can you tell me if anything has happened in the last day or two /any progress at all ? Then we can carry on...

Best Rgds, MIKE ....................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, no further changes since my reply of the 7th March.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply -

Ok - well basically , there is a known issue with these models that will give the faults that you describe - ie, bad starting -

That is a faulty FRP sensor.. thats the Fuel system pressure sensor on the fuel rail.

Basically if / when that sensor goes awry , its telling the Ecu ( command computer ) receives incorrect fuel pressure info and so either doesn't open the injectors at all or properly to allow the engine to start..

So that is the usual cause of the issue you have - replacement is needed as they cannot be repaired.

I would just say as well though that its due a service if the above mileage is correct - it would be worth doing that -replacing the fuel filter of course too - and putting some diesel system / injector cleaner fluid through the system ( you pour into the tank and drive with it working as you drive).. At that mileage, its well worth doing to look after the injectors and ward of problems with the likes of blocking injectors / sticking pintles etc..

But overall , the issue is as above with the fuel rail (pressure) sensor so you need to have that checked / seen to. I would suggest to use a Diesel Specialist if you have one in your locale as they are best equipped to carry out such works for you at the best price. That will see this sorted for you.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert