Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Opel Combo 1.3 cdti not starting while hot

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Just to clarify - Is this sudden cut out problem or does the engine loose power and cut out?

Any warning lights come up when this happens at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No loss of power or cutting out. It will start from cold in the morning but once i drive it and turn it off it won't restart until fully cold

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No warning lights. I have an intermittant yellow oil light that comes on sometimes while driving but not while trying to start that i haven't solved

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

First of all Glowplugs wont be the issue here - as the engine would very seldom use these anyway unless the temp is well below freezing - there are few things that could this but the sensor i would maybe replace first even would be the ECT sensor "engine coolant temperature sensor" thats on the thermostat housing right hand side of the engine you'll see a sensor or plug connector going to it - that sensor measures the temp of coolant which the ecu monitors for cold and hot starting so it maybe something to try replacing and see if that makes any improvement..sometimes if hooked up to diagnostic machine via live data is to run the vehicle upto till it reaches warm/hot etc and see if that picks up anything as it happens..but try the ect sensor first..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the ECT sensor something that can be tested without having to replace it? If so how would i go about this? Could also the crank sensor be at fault in this case or should i start with the ECT sensor.

thanks

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Yes if you have decent multimeter you can have a look at this below..crank sensor can in some case cause this too so well worth bearing in mind..sometimes they can overheat and thus cause and open circuit fault "can bring up the engine light if that occurrs but not always" and thus info from that is lost from the flywheel which this sensor monitors and the ecu shuts the vehicle down or is hard to start in any temp range or cuts out..you can check it all the same just be sure it not contaminated oil wise at the sensor/plug connector/the sensor gap etc..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So for the ECT I can remove and just do a resistance test?

For the CKP Sensor can I remove this and test it or does it need to be done in situ?

thanks

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

No you leave the ect fitted just pull the plug on the ect to see the pins on the sensor at each temp interval as listed - the CKP sensor is left in situ for testing.but nine times of ten with those is usually the sensor itself as oppossed to the wiring between that and the Diesel Control Unit...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll try that and get back to you. Is it best to start another question from here? I can see this issue going on a bit and am very happy with the service

thanks

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi.there.... yep thats fine..