Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Just bought a 2005 L200 Animal 70000miles, loud bang and now

Just bought a 2005 L200 Animal 70000miles, loud bang and now there's white smoke coming out the exhaust.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Have you noticed any signs of coolant loss or oil loss even?

Any leaks from under the vehicle etc?

Is this white smoke steam or actually dense white smoke?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's my son in England all I know is it was dense white smoke
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..ideally the first checks would be the fluids especially those two anyway oil/coolant and see if there is any obvious signs of loss or any signs the oil level has risen beyond its max mark that may have caused internal problem..also make a careful check around the engine for any obvious leaks.especially underneath - anything pipe/hose wise that may have popped off - If its dense thick white smoke then this could be either fuel system related/injectors dumping too much fuel into the cylinder thus can cause the sump to overfill or a mechanical internal fault with the engine itself/ timing issue / low compression - also check for evidence of turbo unit failure just to rule it out especially any oil in the intercooler pipe work..if you can remove the intake pipe to the turbo and check for any free play or slack on the turbine shaft inside..do this with the engine off..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car has been taken back to the garage as it was only bought on Saturday, I was really looking for some idea as to what the problem might be before the garage investigate it.