Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I drove my polo automatic car 3 meters, stopped, and now it

Customer Question

I drove my polo automatic car 3 meters, stopped, and now it woll not start
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Was the engine stone cold when you started it, run it for a few seconds and then it stopped or did you switch it off.

Customer:

The engine was cold when I first started it, moved it out of the drive and parked and then switched off. I moved it so that my husband could drive his car out of the drive

Mark :

It sounds like you have flooded the engine.

Mark :

What to do is press the throttle fully and then crank the engine for about 10 seconds and then let the throttle pedal up.

Customer:

When I had a Toyota starlet automatic last year, and I moved it a few yards as above, the mechanic told me that it had a cut off device and that I should have left it running for a few minutes until the choke/revs had subsided. Could this be the reason again? I started the Polo yesterday morning and it wouldn't start late in the evening and we tried again this evening and it still does not start

Mark :

What you were told is basically correct and also the same as I have told you. You have probably flooded the engine.

Mark :

You need to do what I said to start the engine.

Customer:

My husband has done what you said, it did not work, could it be because its an automatic car?

Mark :

Really

Mark :

Pressing the throttle before cranking activates a drying cycle and clears out fuel in the engine.

Mark :

It is nothing to do with it being an automatic.

Mark :

Why don't you go and try what I said.

Customer:

Well, I will have another go tomorrow morning as I need to get to work. So press the accelorator firmly, turn the ignition key for ten secs and the leave the accelerator go up?

Mark :

Crank the engine for 10 seconds

Mark :

Not just turn ignition on

Customer:

Sorry, I do understand what you mean, new term for me cranking the engine. Thank you and good night..I may sleep now

Mark :

Please read the above link.

Mark :

Also please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Mark, Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark,

I tried my car this morning and followed your instructions to the letter and it wouldn't start. My husband connected his car with jump leads followed your instructions again and it still wouldn't start. (Past history, this car always started on first attempt!) Despite your advice, I think something else must now be wrong.

All the best

Anne

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

You may need to remove the spark plugs to dry them out.

You might also be better to have a scan tool connect to the car to see if any fault codes are present.

Hopefully just drying the plugs will be enough.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark

I've collected the car from the local garage, it's running fine now. Thank you for your concern.

All the best

Anne

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Great.

Mark