Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi got a steering vibration 70-80mph when first set of ok when

Customer Question

Hi got a steering vibration 70-80mph when first set of ok when warm also when i hit bumps the steering rocks from side to side replaced lower wishbones new tyres newbrakes and discs new suspension what could it be
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

I don't think your two faults are directly linked except from them being tyre related.

Mark :

The steering rocking from side to side when hitting bumps is not new. It also hasn't been helped by the fitting of wider lower profile tyres in recent years. Technically the fault is not with the car but the state of our roads.

Mark :

As for the steering vibration, the first thing I would do is swap the wheels from front to rear. If the tyres are directional then make sure you fit them on the correct sides.

Mark :

As you have already had them road force balanced then if swapping the wheels didn't help would be to balance the wheels on the car

Mark :

Customer:

Hi tried all that its starting to get me down costing a fortune also above 30mph im getting a whirring noise on drivers side front wheel bearing maybe all the vibrations and steering was there before the new things put on

Mark :

Have you had the camber checked?

Mark :

Have you had the wheels balanced on the car also.

Customer:

Yep got maptun coilovers all alighned and wheels road forced balanced

Mark :

The road force balancer is a good machine but it doesn't balance the wheels on the car.

Mark :

This machine allows for the whole drive to be balanced.

Mark :

It is a bit more expensive than normal balancing.

Customer:

What worries me i can set off to work engine cold get on motorway then steering wheel shake 70-80 but when everything is warm i dont get the shaking

Mark :

Have you had the gearbox oil level checked.

Mark :

It could also be a sticky cv joint in a drive shaft.

Customer:

Yep always have a full service every year i get a whirring sound front right aboue 30 surely all these problems wont be a wheel bearing if its bad

Mark :

A noisy/worn wheel bearing could affect wheel vibration and stability but I would have thought it would have got worse the warmer it got, not better.

Mark :

Did you look at the link I sent for balancing on the car.

Customer:

Yep i live in lancs is there anybody round here that could do that

Mark :

I would say try google.

Mark :

Dynamic on car balancing and then your area

Mark :

I'm in Scotland

Customer:

When i go round left hand bends on my estate its an incline and all the weight is on front right it does make a scraping noise

Mark :

That could be a wheel bearing or the brake disc backplate deforming a bit and hitting the disc. Especially as you describe it as a scraping noise. Wheel bearings tend to hum.

Mark :

You could try tweaking the backplate a bit to make sure it is clear of the disc.

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Customer:

Its more of a whirring noise above 30 dont get me wrong each time we renewed it got better

Mark :

Why the bad service rating?

Customer:

Sorry mark on me phone pressed the wrong one

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So mark what could it be with the symptoms

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

For the stability, you should check the camber angle.

For the scraping noise when cornering, check the backplates on the front brakes.

For the vibration, try get the wheels balanced on the car. One thing to note about this though is if you ever have to remove a wheel it must be replaced to the exact position it was removed from.

The easiest way to do this is to locate the valve and then remove the wheel bolt/stud nearest to it and use something like tippex to mark the threads for identification.

Mark

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cheers mark had all these problems before all the new stuff

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Did you have the camber checked?

Mark.