Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 03 4lt 16v grand Cherokee has no heat. The blend doors

Customer Question

My 03 4lt 16v grand Cherokee has no heat.
The blend doors have been changed but it takes ages to heat up and not the full heat or airflow as my previous jeep.
I'm wondering if it might be the temp sensor.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Very first thing to do is ensure the coolant level is up to the mark and if low top it up with the correct antifreeze or pre-mixed coolant as stated in the owners manual
I'd then check that the engine is getting up to temperature, if its not then its likely the thermostat needs changing.

If this is OK have a feel of the two coolant pipes that pass into the car through the engine bay bulkhead, both should be warm with a warm engine. If they're not then its likely the heater matrix is blocked and you should do a reverse flush on the cooling system to try and clean it out. This is done by removing the top hose from the radiator and placing a garden hose into the engine water outlet, and then run the hose until you get clean water coming out of the radiator.

also check the state of the pollen /cabin air filter