Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi Mark, I drive a 2005 Ford Fusion. The steering is doing

Customer Question

Hi Mark,
I drive a 2005 Ford Fusion. The steering is doing my heading. I have to turn the steering wheel 1.5 to 2 to take a turn, park etc.. What causes this to happen, how can it be corrected re less ratio. Thnaks
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem.

Mark :

Are you just looking to fit a quick rack or do you think your steering has a fault?

Customer:

First, I have reason to believe that my steering has been messed up.

Customer:

It now appears that the steering wheel requires a lot more rotation (turning of it), in order to take a turn or while trying to park. This was not the case prior to when I suspect the car's steering got messed up.

Customer:

Second, my question is what are the factors that influence steering behaviour so that I can have this corrected. For example, do caster and toe in alignment influence steering wheel behaviour and how so, could it be something not working with the axle or the steering column or a valve or other parts involved in the steering of a car. Or even the power steering mechanism itself or even the Electronic Stability Control of the car.

Customer:

This is a small, city car, well known for its ability to drive and manoeuvre through small city roads exceptionally easy. The present wheel steering situation is not allowing for this anymore. As said at first, I find that I now have to turn my wheel twice as much in order to take a turn or in order to park. A two full circles or even more of steering wheel turning in order that the wheels turn in order that the car turns. This is surely not right and it certainly was not the case before the time I suspect it got messed up.

Mark :

Mark :

Have you had different wheels or tyres fitted at any time?

Mark :

How do you think the steering got messed up. Was it in an accident, hit a pot hole or do you think it has been misaligned by someone?

Customer:

The issue seems to have to appear following a wheel and steering alignment and a change of two front tyres (at the moment, all tyres are winter tyres, but the two front ones are of a different brand). The car has since then been for further Hunter alignment. It improved somewhat, but it now is showing the same problem again, too much steering wheel rotation needed.

Mark :

Is it the same turning both directions?

Customer:

I check this, good observation, it doesn't seem that turning to right is about the same as turning to to the left

Mark :

What to do is turn the steering full lock left, mark the steering wheel at 12 oclock with tippex or similar, count the number of rotations to full lock right.

Mark :

divide this by two and then turn the steering left by that amount. The wheels should point straight ahead and the steering wheel should be central.

Mark :

I need to go out for 15 mins.

Customer:

excellent, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do that. I also need to leave. Please, when you have time, give me further tips. Thank you again

Mark :

What the results?

Customer: Marked 12 o'clock full to the left, 3.5 rotations to full lock to the right, half that to the left, the wheels ever so slightly to the left (may reflect my error). For me the interesting thing is the number of rotations, certainly not as many before and which is has also been confusing while driving.
Customer: In fact, after I realised the steering wasn't the same, I tried to find the specs for this model, steering ratio 2.99. If it helps, the ignorant at the 1st alignment place, after the alignment was completed, he zoomed off for test drive and returned to 'feverishly turn' the axle. After that, the steering has not been the same or as before. Thanks
Mark :

3.5 rotations is what you are meant to have so there is nothing mechanically wrong with the rack and pinion mechanism.

Mark :

If the camber is incorrect it can cause the steering to feel funny but usually in steering in one direction only. You might find it dives in quick on way but totally different on the other lock.

Mark :

If the steering wheel is slightly off centre then that would suggest the steering rods have not been adjusted evenly.

Mark :

I'm not sure I can add much more without seeing the set up and road testing it.

Mark :

All I can advise is you get another alignment check done at a different garage to see what they find with the measurements.

Mark :

I hope I have helped.

Mark :

Mark.

Mark :

ps. Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX also marked the wheel at 12 o'clock and counted rotations while driving, 1.5 toXXXXX As said earlier, totally confusing while driving and not the case before all of this (been driving this car for 5 years now). So my final question, can this number of rotation be reduced and what to ask for.

Customer:

Thank you again.

Mark :

The only way to reduce the number of turns is to replace the rack with one of different gearing.

Mark :

Usually this is reserved for sports cars, rally cars etc. which is why I asked are you looking to fit a 'quick' rack in my opening statement.

Customer:

Oh I see, thank you for this. This Fusion is an automatic, by the way. What is the cost of the 'quick' rack, if you happen to know?

Mark :

I don't know. They are specialist items for cars that race. They really would not be good for normal driving.

Customer:

Thank you again. If there is anything else, please let me know. It has been a painful experience for about a month and a half with my car, as I happen to be a mobile professional. I wish I never went to that alignment place.

Customer:

Thank you for your help, Eva

Mark :

Will do

Mark :

No problem

Mark :

Please remember to leave a rating.

Mark :

Mark, Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark, the Fusion's steering ratio or turns lock-to-lock is 2.800. My Fusion since Jan is 3.500, that is why this is now a completely different drive. Nothing like a Fusion, sharp and precise.

I wish I knew what they did to it and how to put back to its specs.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

The only thing that would do that is a new steering rack.

Mark