Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

i am the legal owner of car,

i am the legal owner of car, my son is the registered keeper, i am the policy holder and the only driver,ive had insurance on the car for three years, the documents states that im the legal owner, but it also says im registered keeper, call me stupid but i never noticed this before, i am always honest, when i applied for insurance when they asked who was the owner/keeper with it being kept at my address, i give what i thought was true.   thank you

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ...

I have read all that you have written -

The legal owner - and the registered keeper, are not necessarily the same person - although they can be of course.

You for example can be the legal owner - with your son as the registered the keeper - there is nothing wrong with that..

Tell the insurance company that - and I dont see that you will have any problems.. they tend to be more concerned with who is the "main" driver... rather than the actual owner or keeper...

If you need anything else , or I have misunderstood you , get back to me and let me know -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me for my time etc - as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi mike, thanks for replying, its just the time lapse,wont they think it strange i have not mentioned this before, took policy out in 2011,it has registered keeper on my policy, im also the policy holder,i just put documents in my folder i never checked,its my wife who noticed it, this is making her ill so your response will help thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but i forgot to add son does have different address to me, he got the car on finance, but i am the owner of the car thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again -

Thank you for your reply - my apologies - I have been on a break ,..

Ok - the bottom line is - the V5.. which is the "log book" or Registration Document - is just that - a log book / reg doc.. If you look on the document there, it says that the Registered Keeper ( on that doc ) is not necessarily the Legal Owner... That is there to cover for just your situation - ie - you are the legal owner but its registered in your sons name... thats all fine, there is no problem with that - legally or otherwise. Hence it follows that this ( your situation) does not matter to the insurance company neither... So long as what you say to them is correct..and of course it is.

Again - they are not really so much interested in who the legal owner / registered keeper is, ( of course they would need to know in the event of claim) but they need to know who is driving the car - and who is the "main" driver - all of which you will have answered your application form /for insurance.

From what you say , I don't see that you have anything to worry about.

You mention the time lapse - Again, I don't see any issues there - you could have transferred ownership back / to etc - back and forth several that period..while insurance companies operate differently to each other to some degree, again, the bottom line is that they know who the main driver is - and therefore who they are insuring.

If you have any more thoughts / issues, just get back to me... no problem at all. I hope the above clarifies for you ..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.