Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I have a 2005 freelander. Towing a caravan traveling to

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 freelander. Towing a caravan traveling to wimbourne in dorset, from brixham in devon, towards the end of our journey driving up steeper hills, there was a whining sound. It seemed to get worse the closer we got to wimborne.

I think that maybe, the water Pump or the alternator bearing are breaking down under load?

What do you think.

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Is this noise your hearing still present when the cars stationary and the engine running/revved up etc?

what engine type/size do you have?

Any issues as per warning lights or overheating as such?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, only happens uphill towing caravan, at the top of the hill the noise disappears.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Normally any issue with the water pump/alternator even bearing wise would certainly show up with the car stationary and at idle,revved up maybe - you would hear that for sure aswell as if the water pump there would be at least some kind of increase in temp as you travel up hill underload if the water pump was failing..If thats not the case in your situation i cant really see it being them to be honest.you can certainly check the belt itself for the alternator and see if it slack etc.It certainly sounds more transmission/tranfersbox/clutch related as per travelling up hill.its hard to say without actually hearing in peson and trying to listen and locate the exact area the noise emits from - the only thing that might be worth doing is maybe getting the fluid changed in those see what condition the oils in..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, were on holiday at the moment. Will get it checked out on return to brixham on the 25th march.

I will contact you and let you no my findings, thanks for your help so far.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there..thats no problem..if you need to ask anything else then just continue after this post..even after you have rated it doesnt lock the question you can still come back to this one..