Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise..

Ive managed to decipher the question / the issue - but please ensure your space bar is used in your reply - thank you..

A diagnostic test per se, will not show this sort of fault...

What other tests / checks if any, have been done?

Too - have you replaced any parts at all in a bid to cure this?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a new battery has been fitted.battery and alternator have been tested several times and is working normally.the battery went dead flat 3 weeks ago after 5 days waiting at garage.the radio was recoded,pryor to that the radio wasnot coded.he doesnot think that could have been the problem.since then the car has been kept for appears to beworking drain or fault detected.still being tested at garage.donot know what to do next.what about checking fuses?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Andrew-

Thank you for your reply and info-

The first thing to say is, it can be very difficult to track such a fault down - but there are some known issues that can cause this.. espeically intermittently so they need to be checked..

Now - given what you have already done / checked as you have outlined above - this is often to do ( on this model ) with the boot light. Its a known issue where the switch on the tailgate doesn't every now and then, unbeknown to you , switch the light off when you shut the boot.. and so then, the battery will drain overnight with just that light on!

Too - some of these models have a glove box light - the same applies there.. and of course, the main interior lights. The latter you can see of course - usually anyway if they have been left on or, hasn't gone out after shutting the door - meaning a faulty door switch.

Too - with these issues- they can be switched off - known to be - but then come on again later - unknown to you - and hence you have the problem.

Espeically when such a fault is so intermittent what we suggest is remove the boot bulb ( start with that ) and see if over time, the fault goes away - If it does - you know you have a faulty switch there - and then , if needed, work through the same as above.

Now - If thats not the fault.. with this model, the radio is another little known fault - ie , some of them actually switch themselves on - in the night unknown to the owner - and then when the driver comes to it, the battery is dead - so you never know the radio has been on...

What we suggest if it comes to this as a suspect - is disconnect the radio -in the same way as the boot light work forward that way - ie, if the fault goes away - you know the radio is the fault.. It can then be either repaired or replaced.

Its usually one or the other as above with this model... IF not, you have to work through the same way with an intermittent fault like this - with the various modules on the car to find the fault - its the only way when the fault is So intermittent..

But there is every chance you will find it with either the boot / interior lighting circuits - or the radio as above - so that is the way to work through and get this cured for you.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou for your is helpful and i will suggest it to the garage.i thought that he would of carried out these kind of checks but i donot think he has.finally, when i purchased the car a few months ago the key was used to start the ignition, however i was soon advised that it was fully keyless.i had to have the keys programmed to make it work properly.the red nats light flashes continuously when engine is switched off even when doors are unlocked.i have often wondered if this is normal or something to do with the problem.if the problem is not resolved could i use an engine starter when it is flat. thanks for help.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Andrew -

Thank you for your reply - My apologies that I could only just get back to you .

I mentioned all that I did so as to be sure nothing had been missed - and of course, some people don't even think to check everything as above.. and then you end up going round in big circles.

Re your NATS light issue - yes, thats operating correctly / as it should.

Re the jump starter idea - with an "engine starter" - then yes , you can do that ... but - I strongly recommend for you to buy a separate what is called , "Surge Protector".. and use as directed - it simply connects across the battery terminals before connecting the jump pack .. This stops electrical surges from the fully powered jumper unit to the low / flat battery - which causes electronic spikes, damaging electronic modules on the car..

Not a lot of people know that ! - We see so many issues caused by not using a surge protector - so do be sure to purchase one if you end up jumping it at any time. They are not expensive and available from good car shops..

The other options - that some people use to keep their batteries topped up - is the likes of a solar powered battery charger that sits on the dash and plugs in the cig lighter... or, a trickle charger - charging the battery as the car sits. - I mention those for you , just in case its a helpful idea.

- I hope that all helps you further Andrew.. Im sure they will get it fixed working as above - if not, then another place perhaps..

.. Per the way justanswer works Andrew, I do just need you to now click on the "OK / Excellent " ratings for me please... Thank you ..

Again, you are welcome back anytime at all -

Very best Rgds - MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert